I am looking for authors, traditionally or self published, to write guest posts on writing or publishing tips to post on my blog. Contact me: readingurbanfantasy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Blogspiration #9: Embrace Yourself


Blogspiration is a Brand Spankin' New weekly meme hosted by both GrowingUp YA and Saz101. The meme was created to help spark inspiration among bloggers, readers and writers alike. An inspirational quote/picture/video is posted weekly, on the day of the author's choosing, so that it may inspire creativity, conversation and just a little SOMETHING.


So with this week's Blogspiration we are presented with a question. A question that I have been thinking about for a couple days: 
What is your favorite literary quote?  Think about that ONE quote that speaks to your soul. The one you've considered tattooing onto your body or the one you've plastered all over the walls of your...um, heart?
I've read a lot of great quotes in the past couple years so it's hard to remember them all. I even tried to look through a couple of my books that I have marked up to see if I could find my favorite. I did find one that I remembered thinking about days after finishing the book. So without further ado:

Answer: “There comes a point when you either embrace who and what you are, or condemn yourself to be miserable all your days. Other people will try to make you miserable; don't help them by doing the job yourself.”

- Anita Blake from the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series by Laurell K. Hamilton.

So there it is. I just...like it. Nothing hugely profound but all together good advice. I'm an odd person with strong views and a strange sense of humor. I now love that about myself. What about you? What have your embraced about yourself?

12 comments:

  1. I've never read the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series, but it looks good. It's great that such a nice quote made you inspired, too! I do think it's true, and that the quote is practical; we need to embrace who we are, but people also need to remember that there is always room for improvement. Focus on the positive rather than the negative!

    I might be going off on a tangent or something, but to answer your question, well, I used to be unhappy with myself. I wanted to be the best at everything, and not being, for example, the top in my class, or getting a low grade made me want to off myself. Which is insane. (Oh, high school.) I embraced my weaknesses and decided to work on my strengths; now, while I'm not at the top of all my classes in university, I focus on the things at which I'm good, write in my free time, and generally know what to do now. I'm not as aimless as I used to be since I've accepted the good and the bad (especially since, as a psychology major, I've seen everything in my test results!).

    Thank you for this Blogspiration post! It really made me think. Have a wonderful week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. There is always room for improvement. I use to be scary competitive. But I learned winning isn't everything and now enjoy games and assignments without worrying that I be the best.

      I too thought I had to be the best in my class in college. But I realized that someone will always be smarter than me, it's just how it goes. So I focused on my personal goals and my own aims, not comparing my worth based on other students grades.

      Thanks for such a thoughtful answer.

      Delete
  2. Jennifer this is an amazing quote!! I should definitely put it on my wall ;) Actually, I think lots of people should put it on their wall! It's true and it's real :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks. I agree, it's a great quote. I hope it inspires others.

      Delete
  3. Well, *I* love that about yourself, too! I LOVE this one, Jen. And it's so true...

    I don't know where it came from... I was a really really unhappy teen... but in the last few years, I've found this place where I kind of... I think, for the first time, I almost like myself. I think I'm cool. *I'D* be friends with me... maybe? :P

    ANYWAY. My point is... YES. THIS IS SO TRUE. And it really is profound. I LOVE it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Love it. You should always want to be friends with yourself. Happy you liked the quote.

      Delete
  4. This is a great quote and very, very true.

    What have I embraced about myself? Me. I used to spend a lot of time caring what other people thought of me, so much that I didn't actually spend time actively trying to better myself. I did what others expected of me and in general complained about life. I literally had an epiphany one day and realized in order for things to change, I had to change, and so did my thought processes. And so I did. I even moved across the country several times trying to figure things out. I think I finally have, because I do what I expect of me now, and not what others expect of me. And I'm proud of myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that really is great. I am happy you found that what you expect from yourself is all that matters. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow!! I seriously, genuinely LOVE this quote! It's solid advice and now I wish more people would listen and spread the word!

    Um...this would be a big ass tattoo, though! ;b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Yeah, I know. I wasn't really thinking of it for a tattoo when I found it. I'll prob never get a tattoo so I just wanted to pick a quote that really hit me. :)

      Delete
    2. No tattoo??? WHAT??!!! lol...nah jk. I find tattoos incredibly attractive so I like to pressure people into getting them.

      Funny how I don't have one myself though...

      Delete
    3. OMG, you are so bad. Yeah, you need to get one, then maybe I will consider it. hehe

      Delete

I appreciate all comments and read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.