I am looking for authors, traditionally or self published, to write guest posts on writing or publishing tips to post on my blog. Contact me: readingurbanfantasy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Follow Friday #25 / TGIF: #19

Feature and Follow Friday is a blog hop hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read.

This Week's Question: Have you had a character that disappointed you? One that you fell in love with and then "broke up" with later on in either the series or a stand-alone book? Tell us about him or her.
Answer: OMG, this is a hard one. The only character I can think of that I liked in the first book but slowly lost interest in as the series went on is Rachel Morgan from the Hollows series by Kim Harrison. Rachel is known for making bad decisions and pretty much whining through the whole book. I didn't mind that the first book, Dead Witch Walking, because I figured she would grow as a character. Yeah, never really happened. As the series progressed, I liked Rachel less. She does things on a whim and usually gets other people hurt. She often almost dies because of her lack of self-control. Then, the few times she is actually justified in her actions, she let's other people belittle her and doesn't stick up for herself. However, I love the secondary characters in the Hollow series. Trent, Ivy, and Jenks are the best secondary character's ever and they are the reason I keep reading this series.


TGIF at GReads is a Friday Feature hosted by Ginger at GReadsBooks.com! The point of TGIF is to re-cap on this week’s posts and answer the question of the week


Recap of My Posts this Week:

This Week's Question: Reading Blues - We all get them from time to time. What helps you overcome those reading slumps when nothing seems to grab your attention?
Answer: Sometimes I like to go back and reread some of my favorite books. They are my favorites for a reason. No matter how much of a reading slump I am in, they always grab my attention time after time. Another way I overcome a reading slump is by picking up a book in a genre I rarely read. If paranormal is just not doing it for me that week, I will go for a good Mystery, Military/Espionage, or Chick Lit. I always have books from different genres on hand just in case my love for all things paranormal dwindles a bit.

I am also a writer who runs a critique group. So when the books I usually read just don't do it for me, I read and critique my group members' chapters for the week. This always helps because after reading and analyzing someone's work, I start wanting to read just for fun again.


24 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I got in a major reading slump earlier in the year, post Dreamfever. Normally when I get in a slump, I'm on a YA burnout, and I'm craving some PNR/UF... but it doesn't help when the REASON behind the slump was that I wanted to do was crawl back into those damn books! I re-read the garage sccene so many times I lost count :P

    GOOD ADVICE... Sometimes I just read my way out of it, too. Like... I'll pick up the book I've been putting off and just keep going... but sometimes, re-reading what you love? YES. I re-read bits of the Guild Hunter books over and over :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get in a reading slump from time to time, and usually end up crafting or something....and I get in crafting slumps REALLY quick, so I usually loop back to reading really quick!!!

      *New Follower!

      My FF: What I Read Yesterday

      Delete
    2. I love to reread the Kate Daniels series, the Night Huntress series, and the Merry Gentry series. Don't know why. They just always sound life fun books to read again and again.

      Delete
  2. I'm still really looking forward to starting the Hollow series...at some point. Old follower! My Follow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer, I've experienced lots of reading slumps. The most recent one was a few months ago, with my dissatisfaction over almost all the romances I picked up. I thought something was seriously wrong with me and I was in a panic! I can't imagine not reading, ever, but if what I read didn't bring me pleasure, what for?

    Then I picked up Alterant by Sherrilyn Kenyon and Dianna Love, and I was hooked. I think I just need a change of genre or else, the books I picked up before were really bad.

    Thanks for such a lovely question and for allowing me to share.

    Please check out my blog; got a giveaway ongoing and a hop upcoming. Thanks!

    Carole
    The Romance Reviews
    http://theromancereviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely agree on Rachel - thought she'd get better but she's just kind of annoying now.

    Happy Follow Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! I couldn't get into this series unfortunately.

    My FF, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/feature-and-follow-friday-27th-april.html

    Have a nice weekend, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping throuhg. Too bad the Hollows series ended up disappointing. I'd like to read it.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopping through! New follower :) Great Blog!

    http://blabbing-books.blogspot.com/2012/04/feature-follow-1.html
    Keegan Shayne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost picked Rachel, too, but I love the series (overall) so much that I didn't want to disencourage anyone from reading it. In the last few novels she did learn after all, though sometimes it feels like for every step forward she takes two back. v_v

    Patricia // My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a really great tip to read a book outside of your normal genre when you are in a reading slump! I typically only read YA books (mostly paranormal), but I remember that Sophie Kinsella's Can You Keep a Secret? (an adult chick-lit book) got me out a reading slump a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great advice on getting out of reading slump! I agree reading off genre is a huge help in getting out of a rut!

    Rie @ Mission to Read

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for following me, here is your comment & follow back! :-)

    And I really didn't want to hear that about Rachel, I just picked up that series! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Regarding the reading slumps, I do the same thing! I rarely have time to read adult novels, as I review YA, so when I pick up a good urban fantasy or paranormal romance it lifts me out of the slump!

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read the series, but it's on my to-read list. Hmm, I hate it when that happens...oh, well - we'll see; maybe I'll still like it.
    Thanks fot stopping by my blog! I'm an old follower.
    Klout widget: Well, to be honest I can't remember where I found it. Seems like Klout pulled its widget site. It's not there anymore. Very weird!
    Happy Friday
    My FollowFriday_Feature
    _yay_

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yet another book I haven't read. Wow, I have some major catching up to do on the reading front.
    My FF Post

    And don't forget to enter to win a Kindle Fire. The LPP Kindle Fire giveaway ends Monday April 30th!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been meaning to start the Rachel Morgan series forever! I have the first book on my kindle. Sad to hear she is not the greatest heroine! But hopefully I'll enjoy the secondary characters as well. Following GFC, Linky, facebook, Google +
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just hopping through, have a good Friday.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/04/feature_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. a lot of people have suggested this, i may have to try it!!


    I'm a new follower!
    In the Hammock Blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read the Hollows series but it's a great reason to be disappointed in a character, to never see any growth or development from them. Great answer!
    New Linky follower :-)
    Here's my FF

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't read the series, but they do look like they might be good!

    My FF

    Happy Reading!

    Megan (new follower!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good answers for both question I have read the hollow series and Rachael does get on your nerves but for me she's not the worst of the lot. Click on my name to se my answer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a hard time re-reading books and re-seeing movies. Once I know the ending it I am good with the book. But changing genres is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments and read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.