I am looking for authors, traditionally or self published, to write guest posts on writing or publishing tips to post on my blog. Contact me: readingurbanfantasy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Follow Friday #29 / TGIF #23


Feature and Follow Friday is a blog hop hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read.

Question: Activity! Dreamcast your current read.
Answer: I am currently reading Cinder by Marissa Meyer. It's hard to pick a cast for this book because I haven't seen a description of Cinder yet and Prince Kai only has a vague description. But off the top of my head I'd say Cinder could be Mila Kunis and Prince Kai would be Ian Somerhalder.



 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TGIF at GReads is a Friday Feature hosted by Ginger at GReadsBooks.com! The point of TGIF is to re-cap on this week’s posts and answer the question of the week!



Question: Show Me Your Cover - What are some of the worst book covers, but hold some of the best stories inside? Don't be embarrassed, show us your cover!
Answer: I love the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews but her book covers are pretty bad. Magic Bites is the first book of the series and I can't get over how silly this cover looks. I don't think it's the worst ever but it did make me second guess reading the book to begin with. This series is my favorite Urban Fantasy series by far, so the covers no longer bother me.

The Divergent book cover also annoyed me. It makes me think of a hardcore fantasy book when it's really a YA Dystopian book. Again, not the worst, but it took me forever to finally pick this book up, and that was only after everyone was raving about it. But I loved the story so much that the cover doesn't bother me anymore.

Now, the WORST cover of a book in which I have read and loved is One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. This book and series (the Stephanie Plum series) is really good but the cover is the most boring, lackluster, horrible cover ever. You wouldn't even know what the book is about because pretty much there is no cover. Just bright colors. I like when a cover gives me an idea what the book is going to be about, but the One for the Money cover tells you nothing other than that it looks like it's from the 80's.

Pretty bad but not the worst cover.

I do not like this cover but still not the worst.

This is the WORST cover I have ever seen.


36 comments:

  1. Hmm, that's not who I would have picked for Cinder and Prince Kai, but it works! Old follower! My Follow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I only had a minute to figure it out and those two popped into my head. So I went with it. :)

      Delete
  2. I have yet to read Cinder; but those are 2 of my favorite actors! :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    - New follower (:

    See my FF Here
    Tabby @Insightful Minds & IM Design Studio

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Cinder yet. Great pics though. New Follower!
    MY FF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I think they're too old, I most definitely approve of your dream cast. I would watch that and drool over the sexiness.

    Angie @ Pinkindle Reads & Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking they were too old too but those two are the ones that popped into my mind.

      Delete
  5. Haven't read Cinder yet, but Mila and Ian would definitely make a hot couple ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't read Cinder, but oooh Ian Somerhalder is so hot! Old follower, my follow Here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I have a bad tendency to choosing Ian for almost every role of every male lead in a book. lol. I mean, come on, he isn't even human when it comes to his looks. He has to be an alien because no two humans can have such a child of perfection. lol

      Delete
  7. Hopping through. Mila and Ian would be great for Cinder. I loved that book.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the Divergent cover (and Insurgent, too!) but I can see how it would represent high fantasy, so good call! And even though I couldn't finish Magic Bites (just couldn't get into it), I despise that cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWWW, I am always sad to hear when someone didn't like Magic Bites but I get it. But I do believe the series got better and better with each book.

      Delete
  9. Prince Kai is hard to cast but you picked a great Cinder!

    My FF, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/feature-follow-friday-25th-may.html

    Have a nice weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Kai was the one I wasn't sure about.

      Delete
  10. I haven't read Cinder yet (but I really hope to soon) but I always thought the cast was asian. That would have been hard to choose between though considering I barely know any asian celebs. Your picks definitely make me more interested in reading the story as it gives a bit of a taste of what the characters are like (:

    - Kim (new follower)
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure Prince Kai is asian but I am not sure about Cinder. Plus, I couldn't think of young, asian actors so I went with whoever came to mind first.

      Delete
  11. New follower. :)
    Check out my Friday Hops:)
    http://ebonyblacklines.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/feature-and-follow-friday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I honestly think I've passed Evanovich before because of her covers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, that One for the Money cover is horrible, there's just nothing to it, but I'm glad to hear the book itself is good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't read Cinder but I love your cast! Hell, I just love Ian! Ever since his Young American days! I believe that was what the show was called and he was in it!

    I had thought he was in another show at one time, but IMDB clarified that I was so wrong!

    Seeing Ilona's book a few times today for TGIF!

    Here's my Friday Hops

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Ian makes every movie better. hehe

      Delete
  15. Hi! New follower here (via Linky). I havent' read Cinder yet, but I agree with Jessica - fabulous cast!!
    Alexia :)
    My FF Post

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha, I'm the kind of girl who'd like to see Ian in ANY movie :D And I love Mila. Haven't read the book, though, so I'll trust you :)
    Old follower hopping through. Here's my FF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Ian is my fav and Mila is so cool.

      Delete
  17. I hope you are enjoying Cinder! I don't know who I would cast as Cinder and Kai so good job to you. In terms of the covers, the Kate Daniels one is pretty bad. And I completely agree about the Stephanie Plum ones. Bright colors doesn't scream "Buy Me Because I'm Awesome" to me. Great answers!

    Old follower.

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews
    http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/follow-friday-27-and-tgif-16.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, the Plum covers don't scream anything. Just blahhh.

      Delete
  18. Ian ....He looks so much better in normal photos than in TVD. I had imagined Cinder an Asian as the whole thing is set up in Beijing plus Kai is an asian name too.
    New follower.
    Mt FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure they are asian but I couldn't think of any young asian actors so I did my best.

      Delete
  19. I haven't read this book, either. Everyone's talking about it though. I never visualize actors for book characters unless I've already seen the movie, so this was really hard for me. My brain just conjures up some non-existent person. ;)

    New GFC follower.
    My FF.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very Hot Picks.

    Old Follower

    My FF post here

    ReplyDelete
  21. I completely agree that one for the money is absolutely TERRIBLE. As are the rest of the covers in the series.

    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i agree that One for the Money (and the rest of the SP books) are boring and they could have totally done much better (esp. considering how much money she makes off these books.)
    ~dixie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great choices for your dreamcast! I think they're both good actors, I haven't read Cinder yet though.
    -Charlotte
    Thanks for commenting on my FF, new GFC follower. (:

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments and read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.