I am looking for authors, traditionally or self published, to write guest posts on writing or publishing tips to post on my blog. Contact me: readingurbanfantasy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Review: Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian

Kiss of Midnight

Book #1 of the Midnight Breed Series

by Lara Adrian

Publisher: Dell (May 2007)
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Format: Paperback (402 pages)
Source: Personal Library (Purchased)
Purchase: Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository
Rating: ★★★½☆ (3.5 stars)

Summary
He watches her from across the crowded dance club, a sensual black-haired stranger who stirs Gabrielle Maxwell’s deepest fantasies. But nothing about this night—or this man—is what it seems. For when Gabrielle witnesses a murder outside the club, reality shifts into something dark and deadly. In that shattering instant she is thrust into a realm she never knew existed—a realm where vampires stalk the shadows and a blood war is set to ignite.

Lucan Thorne despises the violence carried out by his lawless brethren. A vampire himself, Lucan is a Breed warrior, sworn to protect his kind—and the unwitting humans existing alongside them—from the mounting threat of the Rogues. Lucan cannot risk binding himself to a mortal woman, but when Gabrielle is targeted by his enemies, he has no choice but to bring her into the dark underworld he commands.

Here, in the arms of the Breed’s formidable leader, Gabrielle will confront an extraordinary destiny of danger, seduction, and the darkest pleasures of all. . .
 
~ Goodreads
I will be holding a giveaway of this paperback book tomorrow in celebration of my 500 followers.

The Good
A New Kind of Vampire History...
Though it took me a little while to really get into this story, once I did, I was glued. The action was fast and rough and the suspense was spine-tingling. I loved the different take on vampires. Though we don't learn too much of the vampire history in this book, we do get glimpses and it's simply fascinating.

My Summary...
After witnessing a vicious murder by crazed men with fangs, Gabrielle does the only thing she can do, goes to the police. The problem is, the police don't believe her and now some very bad people have become aware of what she saw. Eliminating her is the only option. But Lucan has other plans. Once he caught her natural jasmine scent, he was hooked. He will stop at nothing to protect this woman, his woman. But his secrets are many. Can he really trust himself around the woman that calls to his very soul?

Breed Warriors...
I loved the concept of Breed Warriors. A few brave vampires standing together and fighting to protect the city from Rogues, vampires gone crazed with bloodlust. Though I have seen the concept before in other series, I liked it enough to enjoy another authors take on it. I also loved the idea that these Breed Warriors have undeniable loyalty to their breedmates. They cherish them and hold them above all others. A great romantic concept that made me smile.

Drawn In...
I really enjoyed how drawn Lucan was to Gabrielle. His need for her made me want to lock Gabrielle in a closet and stand in her place. Lucan was rough and downright sexy, and I wouldn't mind if he was drawn to me like that. Lucan is a leader of his people, but his struggles with his growing hunger make for some intense moments.

Gabrielle has a troubled past, but she has worked hard to excel in her career and make a name for herself. She is smart and independent, but she is lonely. Lucan fills that hole in her heart. That's why I liked them as a couple, they both needed one another. Together they can forget their pasts and their struggles and just find peace with each other.

A Little Spice...
The plot was really well done. The twists and turns never stopped, and the bad guys were super evil. I shivered just thinking of what they would do if I was at their mercy. Their complete control over their captures is stomach turning. The other characters were all very interesting. Each one with a different personality that added a little spice. I think Adrian did a really good job for the start of this series.

The Bad
Kiss of Midnight might be too dark for some people. Don't expect an urban fantasy with a kick-ass, spunky heroine. This is a full-out dark paranormal romance. There are not a lot of happy moments, except for those smokin' scenes between Lucan and Gabrielle.

Also, if you have read J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series or Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series, then you will for sure see some resemblance between the series. I have to say, I prefer the above mentioned series to this one, but that does not mean I didn't like this book. I just clicked better with the first books of the two series above. But this can also go two ways: If you like the BDB or Dark-Hunter series then you will probably like the Midnight Breed series as well.

Lastly, Lucan wasn't my favorite male lead. I didn't mind that he was serious--we can't have all lead characters be ridiculously funny or charming--but his self-pity was a little annoying. His back and forth between wanting Gabrielle and pushing her away got a little much by the end.

The Snuggly
Kiss of Midnight is definitely a hot romance book. Adrian knows how to write some awesome sex scenes. I also liked the the romance between Gabrielle and Lucan. But, as I mentioned before, Lucan got on my nerves sometimes. He was a little too "woe is me." Get over it, boy. Gabrielle, though a little too available if you ask me, was an all around cool chick. She got Lucan back on track, and I loved seeing them together.  

Overall
Since I have kept up with the Midnight Breed series, I wanted to add that I grew to like this series a lot. Some characters were just more fun to read about than others. When it comes to Kiss of Midnight I had a good time reading it overall. I liked the change of pace. This was a much darker paranormal romance than I have read in while. A recommended read. A highly recommended series.

Excerpt
They were crouched down on their hands and knees, pawing at something, tearing at it. In the scant light from the street, Gabrielle glimpsed a tattered scrap of fabric lying near the carnage. It was the punker's tank top, shredded and stained.

Gabriells's finger, poised over the Redial button of her cell phone, came down silently onto the tiny key. There was a quiet trill on the other end, then the police dispatcher's voice shattered the night like cannon fire.

"911. What is your emergency?"

One of the bikers swung his head around at the sudden disturbance. Feral, hate-filled eyes pinned Gabrielle like daggers where she stood. His face was bloody, slick with gore. And his teeth! They were sharp like an animal's--not teeth at all, but fangs that bared to her as he opened his mouth and hissed a terrible-sounding foreign word.
Midnight Breed Series:
Book #1: Kiss of Midnight
Book #2: Kiss of Crimson
Book #3: Midnight Awakening
Book #4: Midnight Rising
Book #5: Veil of Midnight
Book #6: Ashes of Midnight
Book #7: Shades of Midnight
Book #8: Taken by Midnight
Book #9: Deeper Than Midnight
Book #10: Darker After Midnight

 

8 comments:

  1. I really should get back and continue with this series. I started reading them right after Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhook-which was amazing. So it didn't grab my full attention.
    Thanks for the reminder, great review :-)

    Vix @ ttoria.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the series as it went on. I would definitely say you should pick it up again.

      Delete
  2. I need to read book #10. I actually read Lara Adrian's series before I started JR Ward's. I haven't read Kenyon's books. yet, but will have to soon. I can honestly say that some of the books in this series had me wary if I would continue on at all, but I trudged on and enjoyed reading them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I go back and forth on this series. Some books I really like and some are just okay.

      Delete
  3. I think I should read this series. I really liked the BDB I may like this one too. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, for sure. If you like BDB and don't mind books that are similar, you will like this series. :)

      Delete
  4. this really helped. i was debating a lot whether or not to read this book. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments and read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.