I am looking for authors, traditionally or self published, to write guest posts on writing or publishing tips to post on my blog. Contact me: readingurbanfantasy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Review: Persephone by Kaitlin Bevis

Persephone

Daughters of Zeus Series, #1

By Kaitlin Bevis

Publisher: July 2012 (Musa Publishing)
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Format: eBook (237 pages)
Source: From author for review
Purchase: Amazon
Rating: ★★★½☆ (3.5 stars)
Summary
There are worse things than death, worse people too

The “talk” was bad enough, but how many teens get told that they’re a goddess? When her mom tells her, Persephone is sure her mother has lost her mind. It isn’t until Boreas, the god of winter, tries to abduct her that she realizes her mother was telling the truth. Hades rescues her, and in order to safely bring Persephone to the Underworld he marks her as his bride. But Boreas will stop at nothing to get Persephone. Despite her growing feelings for Hades, Persephone wants to return to the living realm. Persephone must find a way to defeat Boreas and reclaim her life
.

~Short Review~
At A Glance
I loved the concept and characters but I felt like I was waiting forever for something to happen.

The Good
The last thing Persephone expected her mother to reveal was that Persephone is actually a goddess. But that sure explains all the weird things that has been happening to her lately. When Boreas, god of winter, tries to capture Persephone for nefarious reasons, Hades comes to her rescue. To keep Persephone safe, Hades marks her as his bride and takes her to the Underworld. But Persephone can't hide forever so she does the next best thing, she starts to train for the inevitable battle between her and Boreas. Along the way, Persephone finds true friendships and a possible love that may change her life forever.

I think the best part of this book was the Greek mythology. I love learning about all that stuff. It was interesting to see Bevis's view of the mythological gods and who they would be today. I enjoyed the adventure as Persephone learned her new world and the people in it.

Persephone was an interesting character. She had her ups and downs for me. Mostly, I liked her ability to assimilate to her new life. She tried to make the best out of a scary situation by training to kick some god butt. I respect people who take initiative like that. She also cares a lot for her friends and pretty much does anything for them. I loved her the most at the end. She was a straight up badass which I didn't expect. Gone was the whiny girl, in her place was a fearsome goddess.

Hades was the best part of the book. I expected him to be all brooding and dominate, but he was actually witty, sarcastic, and kind. He had his meanie moments but mostly he had depth I didn't expect. Cassandra was also an amazing character. She holds nothing back. She helps Persephone become familiar with the Underworld. She doesn't let Persephone feel sorry for herself. I think Cassandra brought life to the world of the dead.

This modernized retelling of Persephone was a fun little read that made me want to read the next book in the series. It was humorous as well as frightening. Boreas freaked the crap out of me. The ending was epic if not a little short. Bevis gave us a fun spin on an old tale and she did a pretty good job.

The Bad
Most of the book Persephone is just hiding and training. Definitely not enough action for my taste. The beginning was good but the plot started to unravel fast. It did pick up about two-thirds the way through but by that time I had put down the book many times.

Persephone came off very immature. She ran hot then cold most of the time. She would be yelling at someone one second then talking calmly as if nothing happened. Persephone needs to grow up.

The Snuggly
The romance was a little odd for the fact that Persephone loves Hades who is like a billion years old. Okay, maybe not that old. Hehe. But he is much older than her and it does seem a little weird for a teen and an "old guy" to fall in love. But luckily, the relationship does not go beyond kissing and Bevis makes the age difference a big deal in the book as well. I like that she addressed the issue, not hid it.

Final Thoughts
Though this is not the best book ever, I still enjoyed it and would read the second book of the series. I would like to see Persephone grow a little more and there be more consistent action. If that happened, this series would be amazing.
Quote
His electric blue eyes met mine, and he seemed to see everything I'd done and everything I'd ever do. I had the strange sensation I'd been judged and found wanting. No way this guy was human. His skin could have been carved from marble; his hair was the same disorienting black as the horses. A terrifying power emanated from his tall, statuesque frame.

I couldn't speak. I couldn't move. His ebony cape billowed behind him as he marched toward me. At the grasp of his hand I snapped back to life and jerked away from him.

His furtive gaze took in the empty park, and he swore in a voice as smooth as silk.
"I'm sorry."


My eyes widened in surprise as his lips pressed against mine. I went wild, hitting and scratching and pushing for all I was worth. He didn't budge. He exhaled, and I sank lifelessly into his arms.
Similar Reads:
The Goddess Test Series by Aimee Carter


10 comments:

  1. I tend to get a little bored when it seems that the plot is going nowhere in a book, sounds like you have more patience than me! Sounds like Hades and Cassandra were great characters though, even if persephone came off a little immature. not sure about a teen and an old bloke having a relationship, but then most of the books with vampires have vamps who are hundreds of years old falling for teen girls - even buffy did it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, vampires are usually old so I am kind of use to the age difference. Or okay with it more than I use to be.

      Delete
  2. Great review. I never heard of this series before or book. I love Greek mythology. Especially anything involving Persephone and Hades. Thank you for the amazing review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you will love this book. You should try it.

      Delete
  3. Aw I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did! I guess I can understand how it got a bit slow for you. I don't think it bothered me, but in hindsight I can see where that came from. But I do agree that Persephone wasn't a very likable character. There were several times I wanted to bash her head against the wall. I'm still bummed you didn't enjoy it more though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might not have bothered me any other time but I was craving action so it was a miss in that respect. But I enjoyed it enough to read book two when it comes out.

      Delete
  4. I love the cover of this book. Great review, it's too bad you didn't like it more but sometimes books are like that :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the cover was very angelic and soft. I like it too.

      Delete
  5. Hmm, this is a new one to me, but sounds like a very good read. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments and read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.