I am looking for authors, traditionally or self published, to write guest posts on writing or publishing tips to post on my blog. Contact me: readingurbanfantasy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Thursday, January 24, 2013

My Top Ten Books of 2012

 
Though I did an End of the Year Book Survey, discussing all my fav and least fav books, I wanted to do a post with just my top ten favorite books I read in 2012. Some of the books came out in 2011 but I read them in 2012. These are the type of books I would read over and over again. They may not be for everyone, and they may even have flaws, but overall, all of these books rocked my socks off.

#10
Insurgent, the sequel to Divergent, kept me glued to the pages as this fascinating Dystopian world continues to unravel, revealing secrets that will leave you shocked.
Summary
One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.


My Review / GoodreadsAmazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository

#9
On Dublin Street is a steamy read with complex characters. I really had fun reading this book. Especially as I blushed through all the sex scenes. Yum!
Summary
Jocelyn Butler has been hiding from her past for years. But all her secrets are about to be laid bare…

Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well—until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core.

Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he’s determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached.

But after an intrigued Jocelyn accepts, she realizes that Braden won’t be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her… down to the very soul.


My Review / GoodreadsAmazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository

#8
Fire Baptized may not be very well known, but I was shocked by how much I loved this Urban Fantasy. It hit all the right spots. The characters fascinated me and made me want more.
Summary
Since the 1970s humans have forced supernaturals to live in caged cities. Silver brands embedded in their foreheads identify them by species: a full moon for Vampires, a crescent moon for Shifters, a pair of wings for Fairies, and the list goes on, for each supernatural species has been tagged and categorized by humans.

Lanore Vesta is marked with a silver X, the brand of Mixbreeds, second-class citizens shunned by society. She stays to herself, revealing her ability to create fire only during emergencies. All she wants to do is graduate college and stop having to steal to survive. But when she stumbles upon a murder in progress, she catches the attention of a supernatural killer. Now all she wants is to stop finding dead bodies in her apartment.

Enlisting help from her Were-cheetah ex-boyfriend MeShack and a new mysterious friend named Zulu, she is steered through the habitat’s raunchy nightlife. But their presence sometimes proves to be more burden than help, as they fight for her attention.

While the corpses pile up, and the scent of blood fills the air, Lanore is left wondering: Will she find the psycho or die trying?


My Review / GoodreadsAmazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository

#7
This is one of my favorite books out of the Hollows Series. I want Trent and Rachel together so bad, and this is the first time I see them really liking each other. Great action and interesting story.
Summary
Ritually murdered corpses are appearing across Cincinnati, terrifying amalgams of human and other. Pulled in to help investigate by the I.S. and FIB, former witch turned day-walking demon Rachel Morgan soon realizes a horrifying truth: a human hate group is trying to create its own demons to destroy all Inderlanders, and to do so, it needs her blood.

She's faced vampires, witches, werewolves, demons, and more, but humanity itself might be her toughest challenge yet.


My Review / GoodreadsAmazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository

#6
Daughter of Smoke and Bone is one of the most lyrical and beautifully written books I have ever read. And it has the best cliffhanger ending ever .
Summary
Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?


My Review / GoodreadsAmazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository

#5
Most of you know I am obsessed with the Kate Daniels Series. So I wasn't surprised that I loved the first book of Ilona Andrews' new spin-off series, Kate Daniels World. The action and dialogue are the best I have seen in a long time.
Summary
After being kicked out of the Order of the Knights of Merciful Aid, Andrea's whole existence is in shambles. She tries to put herself back together by working for Cutting Edge, a small investigative firm owned by her best friend. When several shapeshifters working for Raphael Medrano--the male alpha of the Clan Bouda, and Andrea's former lover--die unexpectedly at a dig site, Andrea is assigned to investigate. Now she must work with Raphael as her search for the killer leads into the secret underbelly of supernatural Atlanta. And dealing with her feelings for him might have to take a back seat to saving the world...


My Review / GoodreadsAmazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository

#4
Pushing the Limits was one of the first YA Contemporary Romances I had ever read and I was blown away by I much I loved it. This book has it all. I was sad it had to end.
Summary
No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.


My Review / GoodreadsAmazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository

#3
Divergent made me love YA Dystopians. I loved the world and I loved the characters. I was scared out of my mind most of the time because Veronica Roth doesn't hold back in this book.
Summary
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.


My Review / GoodreadsAmazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository

#2
Shatter Me is the best YA Dystopian book I have ever read. The writing is amazing and the story is as heartbreaking as it is inspirational. I love everything about Tahereh Mafi's writing style.
Summary
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


My Review / GoodreadsAmazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository

#1
Beautiful Disaster is one of the best books I have ever read. I was surprised by how much a New Adult, Contemporary Romance could make me feel. My emotions were all over the place and I loved every minute of it. This book is not perfect by any means, but it doesn't matter. Something just hit me right while reading this and I knew this was my favorite book of the year, hands down.
Summary
Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.


My Review / GoodreadsAmazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository



21 comments:

  1. Well this just proves that I have to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone! :D I completely and 100% agree with On Dublin Street, Pushing the Limits, Divergent, and Beautiful Disaster!! Amaaaaazing books!!! Those are more or less my favourites of the year too!

    Awesome choices. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Daugther of Smoke and Bone is a must read.

      The only book I really wanted to put on the list but it would have been #11 was Captive in the Dark.

      Delete
  2. I'm quite surprised that beautiful disaster is your number 1! I hoping that my copy of divergent will pop through my door soon so that I can see what everybody is going on about! Must read 'on dublin street' too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Beautiful Disaster is not for everyone but for some reason it just hooked me. I can't explain why.

      You are going to live Divergent.

      Delete
  3. Awesome list, I loved Beautiful Disaster, Shatter Me, Divergent and Insurgent and Perfect Blood..I have Ever After and eek gads I want to start it..but need to get through 3 ARC's first..since I've been naughty gobbling up New Adult Books and On Dublin Street and Pushing the Limits are in my tbr pile too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will love Pushing the Limits. I haven't ordered Ever After yet because like you I have so many ARCs I need to finish first.

      Delete
  4. Excellent list, Jennifer! I feel very behind. Shatter Me, Divergent, and the Kate Daniels series are all on my list to start in the next few weeks. I know you said it makes you sad when people haven't read Kate yet, so I'm sorry! I will be reading them all in the next few weeks so hopefully I won't be so far behind anymore :) I LOVE the cover to Fire Baptized and Smoke and Bone (also on my to-read list). Wow I am needing to catch up. I am LOVING Ever After though and I really LOVED A Perfect Blood too. I just had to get my Hollows fix before I could focus on everything else :) Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I totally get the Hollows fix. So happy Ever After is awesome.

      I really hope you love all of Kate Daniels. Just remember, the first book is not as good as the rest, so don't give up.

      Delete
    2. I completely understand. I will stay the course :)

      Delete
  5. I have some reading to do! I need to get to Insurgent, it has been sitting on my shelf for a bit and I can't seem to get to it. Sad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know many people didn't like Insurgent as much as Divergent but I thought it was really good.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed Divergent and Pushing the Limits as well. I have been meaning to check out Beautiful Disaster and Insurgent is near the top of my TBR.
    Happy reading with <3, Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like BD, it's not for everyone but for the few its for, it is mind-blowing.

      Delete
  7. I LIKEY your list. You know I love PtL and Shatter Me and Divergent/Insurgent.

    I'm surprised to see so much YA! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo, I have Divergent here to read and do need to get to those. Everyone's loving it. And I think I've only read 1 on this list. lol. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Disaster and Shatter Me are my top two, too. ;) Loved thos, can't wait to read Unravel Me, it's not too long a wait for this, thank goodness!, and Walking Disaster which I so hope will even top Beautiful Disaster. I so can't wait to get back with Travis. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited for Unravel Me. I acutally am waiting for the ARC that the publisher sent me. Walking Disaster is going to be epic, I just know it.

      Delete
  10. I love the Divergent series. I agree with you about Divergent being the better of the two. I can't wait for the third one to come out. Hopefully it will be just as good, as I'm sure it will be. Shatter Me sounds like an excellent read as well! I haven't heard of it so I will definitely be adding that to my TBR list on Goodreads. Thanks for the great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you loved Divergent, you will love Shatter Me.

      Delete

I appreciate all comments and read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.