I am looking for authors, traditionally or self published, to write guest posts on writing or publishing tips to post on my blog. Contact me: readingurbanfantasy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Monday, January 28, 2013

Review: Breed of Innocence by Lanie Jordan

Breed of Innocence

The Breed Chronicles, #1

by Lanie Jordan

Publisher: LJ Books (July 2012)
Genre: YA, Paranormal
Format: eBook (Novel)
Source: Read for Review by Author
Purchase: Amazon / Barnes & Noble
Rating: ★★★½☆ (3.5 stars)
Summary
Six hours ago, men in dark suits and sunglasses came looking for me.
Four hours ago, they offered me training to hunt the things that killed my family: demons.

Two hours ago, I joined their secret organization—the CGE.

Now… All I have to do is survive demon-hunting school.

The classes won’t kill me, but the finals might.


~Short Review~
At A Glance
I loved the concept and it was a good read but some of the characters needed to be fleshed out.

The Good
Breed of Innocence caught my interest right away. The concept of rounding up people with special DNA to hunt demons is pretty refreshing. I am a sucker for training books, where people teach other how to fight, use weapons, and so on. I love the idea of empowering people to take care of themselves, especially women. And that's exactly what happened to Jade. After her family was murdered by a demon, all she wanted to do was find it and kill it. And now she will get that chance as a future demon hunter.

The first thing that caught my attention was Jade's strong, snarky personality. Loved it. I felt so bad for her, having been moved around from one foster and group home to another and pretty much having a crappy life. I relaxed a little when Jade was offered to live and train at the CGE, a demon hunting school. The way it all happened, with this creepy Mr. Green coming out of nowhere, saying demons are real and this is her only chance at getting revenge for her family was odd, but it worked.

Jade makes quick friends with Linc who helps her assimilate into the school. I loved how nice and supportive he was. He is like the perfect guy friend who you wish was more. Then we had the horrible Felecia who hated Jade right away for being "more special" than her. Felecia is not just an enemy, she is straight up psycho. If she could, she would leave Jade to die. That's a scary person to be around, someone who literally wants you dead. Eek!

Jordan did a great job of world-building and providing enough demon history to keep it interesting but not annoying. The action was awesome. My muscles tensed as Jade was put in dangerous situations time after time (often her own doing). I loved the air of foreboding Jordan often injected into scenes. And when we found out some pretty big secrets, I was genuinely shocked. I just love being surprised.

The Bad
I wish the secondary characters were more developed. Most were one dimensional with little backstory.

I also felt the connections Jade made with some characters were a little convenient with no real reasoning behind it.

The Snuggly
This is a very clean YA book. Just some kissing and I don't think there was even a cuss word.  The romance between Linc and Jade is very slow because they are just friends throughout most of the book.

Final Thoughts
Though it wasn't perfect, I am still interested in reading book two of this series. I want to see Jade fly through the rest of her training and really get into the meat of demon hunting. Breed of Innocence was definitely a suspenseful and fun read. Recommend.
Quotes
My eyes narrowed. "Then what do you want?"

"We want you to come work for us, for lack of an easier explanation."

The snort escaped before I could stop it. "I'm a sixteen-year-old living in a group home because no one wanted me. I've got 'authority issues'--" I used air quotes, "--a bad temper, and an awesome attitude that no one else seems to think is all that awesome." Turning in my seat, I crossed my arms again and raised an eyebrow. "What possible work could you have for me that wouldn't require me going to jail for beating the--"


8 comments:

  1. Snarky is my kinda character. Love the surprises as well. I can see why there are issues with the secondary characters not being very rounded out though because they bring a LOT to a story. I really enjoyed the quote you selected. Great review! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really need my secondary characters to pop becuase they usally make a book awesome.

      Delete
  2. This sounds good. I love those school/empowering books too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that blurb alone grabs me immediately! It's a shame the characters were a little lacking, but WOW. This sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it has its downfalls but I still enjoyed reading it.

      Delete
  4. This does sound interesting. Glad that it was good enough to read the sequel :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments and read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.