I am looking for authors, traditionally or self published, to write guest posts on writing or publishing tips to post on my blog. Contact me: readingurbanfantasy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Friday, February 22, 2013

Review: Pivot Point by Kasie West

Pivot Point

Pivot Point Series, #1

by Kasie West

Publisher: HarperTeen (Feb. 12, 2013)
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Sci-Fi
Format: eARC (352 pages)
Source: Edelweiss/Publisher
Purchase: Amazon Print | Amazon Kindle | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository
Rating: ★★★★☆ (4 stars)
Summary
Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.


At A Glance
I have never read a story like this before. Pivot Point took my breath away, it had me anxious as all get out, then left me raw by the end. Book two can't come any sooner.

The Good
Kasie West is a meanie bo beanie. Why don't you just rip out my heart with your bare hands and stomp on it for good measure, Kasie. I shall withhold my forgiveness until I read book two of the series, but I don't know how you are going to make it up to me. I started Pivot Point expecting interesting characters, mystery, and romance. And I got all that. But I didn't expect the heartache and emotionally draining plot that left me screaming out of frustration and joy because Kasie is such a wonderful writer.

I was blown away by the wonderful characters who brought the story to life and the dialogue that kept me clued to each page, each word. The dialogue was like a beautiful dance of words where wittiness, impact, and meaning all had their parts and danced them to perfection. The descriptions where vivid and clear. I felt like I was right there in the action every step of the way. And the role each character had was more complex than I first guessed. Kasie weaved a tale with more subtext and intrigue than I have seen in a while.

Before I go off on a tangent, let's get down to the characters I now love. Addison was the perfect main character. She was smart, logical, and caring. She thought out everything she did and tried to make the right decisions. My favorite part was when she analyzed the right amount of rebellion she could go through by playing the "my parents got divorced" card. Awesomeness. Addison didn't take anyone's crap either. She knew something was wrong in both the futures. She did her own dirty work and investigated all the horrible things happening around her. I loved her take-charge attitude.

Before I get into the guys, let me explain what's going on just in case you didn't get it from the summary. Addison is living through two different futures. Both have their bad and good moments. In one, Addison becomes fast friends with the "Norm" Trevor, an ex-football player who is trying to find himself after getting injured, ending his future career in football. In the other future, Addison starts reluctantly dating the charming quarterback in the paranormal compound. Both romances start out great, one is a friendship while the other is a fast relationship that leaves Addison's head spinning. I, of course, was rooting for a certain guy the whole time. I so wanted Addison to choose the future with him. But I have to stop right there before I say too much.

I loved the supernatural elements in this book. So many different characters with different abilities really opened up the possibilities. I loved learning how each ability worked and its downfalls. The mystery behind the football injuries and that scary guy following Addison around were great suspenseful elements that kept me guessing. I am so excited for book two, especially with how Pivot Point ended.

The Bad
It was a little disconcerting to realize that pretty much the whole book is Addison Searching into her two futures. I wish more happened in real life.

Let me start off by saying that a character can say or do one wrong thing and it ruins the whole book for me. I don't know why, I am just a really invested reader who gets easily upset with bad decisions, unless they are fixed later and they learn their lesson. That being said, Addison decides to not tattle on someone who has ruined peoples lives by injuring them beyond repair and mentally manipulating people into loving him. This person is disgusting for what he did but Addison decides to just say, "Hey, don't do it again and I wont tell." Just sickening. I hope this is rectified in the next book.

I really disliked Addison's best friend, Laila. She was a crappy best friend, no matter her excuses. It looks like she's sticking around though so hopefully I can see her in a better light next book.

The Snuggly
I truly loved Trevor and Addison together. They started out as friends and ever so slowly they fell for each other. I swear, this is one of my favorite romances so far this year. And it's not even like they had a lot of time together but, sweet baby cheeses, it was the most endearing, sweet, heartbreaking love story I have read in a long time. Maybe not everyone will see this when they read Pivot Point, but some of you will see what I am saying. It just has to hit you the right way. Even Addison and Duke were pretty hot sometimes. The sexual tension was good and sexual content was minimal.  

Final Thoughts
I may have given Pivot Point 4 stars for numerous reason but, in the end, this book is pretty amazing in a lot of ways. I would recommend it to everyone. It has mass appeal and the Series potential is enormous. Highly Recommended.
Quotes
“When I read, I feel emotion all on my own. Emotion no living person is making me feel.” 

*****

“I don't care when people think I'm an antisocial,controlling, bookworm because that's what I am. It's when they interpret me wrong that I have a problem.” 

*****

He shrugs. "Doesn't help to waste my time thinking about would've-beens."
Laila whispers, "He says to the girl with a mind full of them.”


20 comments:

  1. JENNIFER MY LOVE!!! I am so freaking glad you loved this book. SERIOUSLY! I would have cried a million tears if you didn't.

    I completely agree that Trevor and Addison were ADORABLE!! How freaking sweet is Trevor? Like, oh my god. *swoon*

    I'm pissed at Kasie West for writing such an amazing book and not having book 2 available immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Trevor is like my book guy crush right now.

      Kasie needs to get her butt in gear and produce that book pronto cuz I do not want to wait.

      Delete
  2. I REALLY want to get my hands on a copy of this book. I've heard some awesome things about the story and I'm glad to see you liked it so much! And I love a good romance :) It makes the book that much better! And the fact that its one your faves this years says a lot. Awesome review Jennifer!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you do get your hands on a copy. I think you would love this book.

      Delete
  3. I love the characters and how the two came together, and like you, I can't wait for the next book. Loved it.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that the author is a meanie bo beanie - I am putting this on my list right now! Sounds awesome :) Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe. Me too. Authors have to be mean sometimes. It's what makes the story good.

      Delete
  5. Wasn't Addie just brilliant? I really liked her take-charge attitude too. She's probably one of my favourite characters since the start of the year. Great review, Jennifer! I'm glad you were as impressed with this as I was. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addie is amazing. I was surprised by how much I loved her.

      Delete
  6. The part about part of the book not being real annoyed me a bit too! I felt like I was reading something that 'might be' rather than something that was. I totally wanted her to choose the other path to the one she took too, she herself said that things change in a moment so I think she should have tried harder to take the other path and change things. You've got to try to have your cake and eat it! She could have search again a few weeks later and got a totally different outcome!
    Great review hon ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, I think she could have taken the other path and worked it out. She folded too easily. I was so sad with her choice but it makes for a great second book I bet.

      Delete
  7. What a fabulous review! The concept for this book is crazy. I wouldn't want to know what my future holds...that would create a TON of complications. That being said, I'm sure those complications make for a great book. The dialogue, Addison's characteristics, and the supernatural elements sound fantastic. And if the bestie is not up to snuff, that goes in the bad column for sure. This sounds great - I have added it to my to-read list. Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, there were a lot of complications with Addie seeing her future. But I think I would still love to have the ability.

      Delete
  8. Thanks Jennifer, you're right some books have it all. Those are the ones we need to read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Jennifer! I've been seeing Pivot Point around and it sounds amazing! It's also good that the romance has prominence. This is definitely going straight on my 'read soon' list! Fabulous review! :)

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, happy to have helped your TBR list grow. :)

      Delete
  10. I am really surprised at how many great reviews of this book that I have read, I don't know why but when I first heard about it I didn't expect that much from it but, after all of the great reviews I have read I think that I may just need to pick up a copy for myself. Thanks so much for giving your thoughts!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was so surprised by how good it was. I didn't expect it.

      Delete

I appreciate all comments and read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.