I am looking for authors, traditionally or self published, to write guest posts on writing or publishing tips to post on my blog. Contact me: readingurbanfantasy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Review: Shadow of the Blood Moon by Robin P. Waldrop

Shadow Of The Blood Moon


Blood Moon Series, #2


by Robin P. Waldrop


Publisher: Self-Published (August 2012)
Genre: Paranormal, YA
Format: eBook (340 pages)
Source: Read 4 Review
Purchase: Amazon Print | Amazon Kindle | Barnes & Noble
Rating: ★★★☆☆ (3 stars)
Summary
Genevieve Labreck is back with a score to settle. Her mom has been kidnapped by Zane, hybrid and all-around monster. Rumors fly that Gen’s mom is holed away in Prague, a city recognized by humans for its serene beauty and intense culture, but Gen and Will know something humans don’t. Prague is haunted by dark, evil forces.
Can Gen and Will save her mom, or will they be too late?


Some will live, others will fall. At what price do you walk away from those you love.


At A Glance
Shadow of the Blood Moon kept my interest but I was rolling my eyes half the time because of the immaturity of the characters and their actions.

The Good
I think what makes Shadow of the Blood so interesting is that even with its faults, I still found myself glued to the pages. I hated most the characters but still felt emotionally involved in their lives. I don't know how Robin does it.

Shadow of the Blood Moon is great when it comes to suspense, action, and drama. So much is going on all at once, you never know where the story is going to turn next. And Gen has that kind of voice that makes everything feel so intense. I felt like I was knocked off my feet many times. You know why? Because people DIE in this book. People we care about. It was so horrible I wanted to throw the book across the room. But I respected Robin's ability to not hold back and surprise us to such an extent. There were also many changes and many new characters in this book. I wonder where this is all going to go? Book three couldn't come out sooner.

I love the new bad guy. He's straight up creepy, insane, and indestructible. I kept asking myself, "How the hell are they going to defeat him?" It seems like none of the crew will ever be on board to work together. There is so much animosity, guilt, and resentment in this group of people that you can tell it's hard for them to truly work as a team. They try, but it seems like someone is always either dying or sacrificing themselves to stay behind. It was both frustrating but fascinating to read about.

Some of the secondary characters really shined in this book. Unfortunately, I can't mention many of them because they are new and you need to be a surprised when you meet them. But I can talk about Joseph. Though Joseph infuriated the crap out of me, he also made this book so much entertaining. I love that he has some options other than Gen and how Gen reacts to it all.  Sweet jealousy. Serves her right, lol.

The Bad
First, I really hated some of the actions of the characters this time around. Gen was all around stupid and whiny. Sometimes she deserved the hate others felt towards her and sometimes she didn't but she still did the whole martyr thing and said how everything was her fault over a million times. But she never learned from her mistakes. She made them over and over again. Then she would yell at people, then feel bad when they made a sad faces, then apologize. This happened about 20 times. So childish. She even apologized to kidnappers and murderers when she was mean to them. Ummm, yeah, Gen, you can probably yell at them without apologizing. That's when it's okay to lash out.

William is no longer a likable character for me. He treated Gen horribly. I wouldn't be with someone who doubted and blamed me for harming people as often as he did Gen. Plus, they did that whole makeup/breakup thing about five or six times in this book. And even when they got back together it was for no reason at all. No true "I'm sorry" or "I was wrong." They just had to get back together because they "belong together." Way to build a healthy relationship...not!

The love triangle is no fun at all. I found Gen's back and forth between William and Joseph to be annoying and repetitive. I don't even care who she ends up with. Gen doesn't deserve either of them anyway.

The plot was a little all over the place. There were a lot of abrupt changes and character introductions that seemed awkward. I wish things went smoother overall.

The Snuggly
Not much romance in this book. We get some thick sexual tension, but that's it. I am so over this love triangle.

Final Thoughts
I think the youngins will like this book more than adults. There is too much immaturity to handle sometimes. But despite my bitching, I still want to read the third book of the series. Damn cliffhangers. You got me, Robin, you got me. Recommended to YA readers.
Quotes
"My heart belongs to you, Genevieve. The way it has since I first met you. The way it always will." I felt his blood heat up and rush through his veins when his fingertips grazed my cheek.

A wonderful heat surged through me and I wanted to turn my head so that our lips would collide in a passionate kiss. Then, I thought about William. Kissing Joseph might mean the end for William and me. Before all this happened my heart felt as if it had always belonged to William. Like we were somehow destined to be together. But, now I had doubts. Spending this time with Joseph made me do some soul searching. My heart yearned for them both. It divided right down the middle. Half belonged to William and the other to Joseph.
Blood Moon Series:
Book #1: Ties to the Blood Moon
Book #2: Shadow of the Blood Moon
Book #3: Crest of the Blood Moon (Coming soon)


6 comments:

  1. There is my son's name as a bad guy again - LOL I keep seeing that. I think the Mistborn trilogy was the first time I came across it. Anyway, that's pretty off-topic.

    I have caught myself rolling my eyes at characters in books before and the rest of the story has to be pretty good to get a 3 star rating. The Iron Daughter was that way for me. I think it definitely says something about the author when you aren't really invested in the character, but you still have to know how the story goes. I also like it when they don't hold back and surprise you with characters being killed off. I hope Gen undergoes a good growth in the next book so that one is even more enjoyable for you. I hadn't heard of this one before. Great review! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it would be nice if Gen finally grew up. I almost gave this book 2.5 stars, but when I feel like I need to read the next book in the series, then I know something must have been done right.

      Delete
  2. I didn't even make it all the way through the first book of the series never mind the second. Losing the will to live comes to mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO. That's to bad but I totally get it.

      Delete
  3. Hmm, I'll have to go look at the first book again. I'm not sure about this one for me though. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments and read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.