I am looking for authors, traditionally or self published, to write guest posts on writing or publishing tips to post on my blog. Contact me: readingurbanfantasy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Friday, May 3, 2013

Review: Children of Sun and Moon by Matt Larkin

Children of Sun and Moon


Skyfall Series, #1


by Matt Larkin


Publisher: Self-Published (Jan. 2012)
Genre: Epic Fantasy/Fantasy
Format: eBook (256 pages)
Source: Review Request from Author
Purchase: Amazon Print | Amazon Kindle | Barnes & Noble 
Rating: ★★☆☆☆ (2 stars)
Summary
The Lunar King bargained his daughter away in marriage to end generations of war between the two dynasties of the Skyfall Isles. The King sends his niece Chandi along as handmaid to his daughter. Chandi has two tasks: watch over her cousin, and spy on the Solars. The Solars cost her everything she cares about, and now she wants nothing more than proof of their treachery so she can go home.

She knows little of spying, but the blood of the Moon God running through her veins gives her powers mortals can’t match, powers that let her slip into places she’s not supposed to be. Of course, the more she uses her powers, the faster she becomes a lunatic.

When she discovers a Solar soldier, Naresh, watching her, she decides to return the favor and stick close to him. But as he shows her the wonders of the domed underwater city, she begins to realize the Solars are not what she thought. Soon, she’ll have to choose between loyalty to her people and her own heart.


~Short Review~

At A Glance
I just think Children of Sun and Moon wasn't for me. Some parts I enjoyed, but the rest left me unsatisfied.

The Good
Chandi was a very interesting character in the beginning. She was both strong and determined. She often put herself in danger to protect her people. I couldn't imagine having to live with the "enemy" for years and not be a big ball of nerves. But Chandi handles her job as protector and spy very well.

Naresh had a very interesting past but his convictions made him weak. I actually liked his flawed character. He was so stubborn you just wanted to slap him. But he also had a big heart.

Malin was the most intriguing character for me. I felt bad for him, for how his race was treated, but he was no pushover. He takes his revenge from the people that have hurt him very seriously. Malin may be a little bad sometimes, but you have to respect his tenacity.

I think the action was the best part. The fighting scenes were very well done. One scene was very similar to the fighting scene in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I like off the wall (and I literally mean off the wall) fighting like that.

The Bad
I don't read a lot of epic fantasy but I know it should be heavy in description and detail but Children of Sun and Moon just wasn't. I often felt lost since the world wasn't explained for a long time. I felt little for the characters since their history or past took way to long to be explained.

The scope of the story was too large to be accurately portrayed in 256 pages. There was too many main and side characters and sub plots that weren't fleshed out in the short amount of time. It all got jumbled and confusing at times.

I really liked Chandi in the beginning but love turned her soft. She blamed herself for everything even if it wasn't her fault or if she had good reason. I don't like reading about characters that feel bad for themselves all the time.

There was a lot of waiting around for the inevitable big fight to happen but no real prevention on the characters part. There was evidence of bad events to come but no one ever did anything about it until it was too late.

The Snuggly
There is some romance but nothing to write home about. It was all very odd since Chandi and Naresh never really wanted each other at the same time. Naresh was just too stubborn to let Chandi love him. And Chandi spent too much time feeling sorry for doing her duty because Naresh despised her for it even though he did the exact same thing for his side. Freaking double standards.

No sex scenes.

Final Thoughts
I don't think this is a bad book, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I waned more. More everything. But I was only given the bare minimum. I think some people will like this book, but I wouldn't recommend it to my readers unless the things I mentioned don't bother them.
Quotes
"You've been crying," he said as she drew near.

"Because I love you." She blew out a hard breath and drew her toyaks. "They always say the Moon Blessings have a price. Hard to believe, sometimes. Until it comes to this."

Anusapati laughed, but where the laugh held humor one moment, it turned to wrath the next. Chandi recoiled from the fire in his eyes as he assumed a fighting stance. "You dare stand against me, beloved? Then come."

Chandi opened herself to the energies nestled within, drew her Moon Blessings, making herself stronger and faster than any human. "Forgive me." She launched a series of lightening fast strikes.


8 comments:

  1. Not for me. My least favorite books in series are generally the second ones because the authors make the characters feel sorry for themselves. I can't read that for the whole book. I think the fight scenes in this one would be fun to read though. Sorry it wasn't your thing. Excellent review! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fight scenes were pretty awesome but not worth the whole read.

      Delete
  2. GLad that you liked CHandi, but sorry that the world building or lack left you confused, I dont think this would be for me either. Thanks for honesty, and hope your next read will be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to try out Epic Fantasy every so often, so at least I tried.

      Delete
  3. From the sounds of this, it isn't probably one that I pick up. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry this didn't work for you, but kudos for finishing it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments and read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.