I am looking for authors, traditionally or self published, to write guest posts on writing or publishing tips to post on my blog. Contact me: readingurbanfantasy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Thursday, June 20, 2013

ARC Review: Spartan Frost by Jennifer Estep

SPARTAN FROST


Mythos Academy Series #4.5


by Jennifer Estep


Publisher: Kensington Publishing (June 25, 2013)
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Young Adult
Format: eARC
Source: I received this free ebook from NetGalley and the Publisher for an honest review
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Rating: ★★★☆☆ (3 stars)
Summary
I'm Logan Quinn, the deadliest Spartan warrior at Mythos Academy. At least I was--until the day I almost killed Gwen Frost.

Professor Metis and Nickamedes say that I'm fine, that Loki and the Reapers don't have a hold on me anymore, but I can't risk it. I can't risk hurting Gwen again. So I'm leaving Mythos and going somewhere far, far away.

I know Gwen wonders what's happening to me, whether I'm safe. I can't tell her, but this is my story. . .

~Short Review~

At A Glance
I rarely love novellas from series I am obsessed with. Spartan Frost was no exception. It was just okay for me.

The Good
I really did enjoy being in the head of Logan. I am never quite sure of his true feelings for Gwen and I feel like we got a small but good idea of how he feels about her now. Though I did hope for more emotion and more Gwen talk, I was happy to learn more about Logan's family and his feelings after being possessed by Loki, the evil God.

The action was short but good. I love how Logan is so vengeful now. He just wants to kill those Loki's Reapers so bad. I'm a little bloodthirsty when it comes my books. The more blood, the better.

I also liked how the ending segues perfectly into the next book in the series, Midnight Frost.

The Bad
Not enough happens for me in this book. I wish there was more Gwen talk from Logan. Let's admit it, when us girls ponder what guys think about when we aren't around, we secretly hope they are obsessing over us. :)

It was really jerky of Logan to keep in contact with his school buddies but not Gwen. It's like he's punishing himself by punishing her. Made me think less of him.

If I were you, I wouldn't spend money on this book because it's really not needed to understand any of the series and it doesn't have enough excitement or drama.

The Snuggly
Nada. No snuggly.

Final Thoughts
Like I said, novellas that are a part of series I love just don't do it for me, so I was expecting this outcome. Maybe others would enjoy Spartan Frost more. For me, it was just okay. Recommended for those obsessed with all things Mythos Academy.
Quotes
“Her touch was as soft as a snowflake falling onto my skin.”  


"I didn't want to talk to the Reapers- I just wanted to kill them."


"I wasn't going to pretend to be anything other than I was- a Spartan out for blood."
Mythos Academy Series (My Reviews):
Book #3: Dark Frost
Book #4: Crimson Frost


10 comments:

  1. I sorta feel the same way about novellas. I always feel like they're too rushed. But I really liked getting inside of Logan's head. Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, always too rushed. If I love a series, I have to have full books to be fulfilled.

      Delete
  2. Well I haven't read Mythos yet, though I am interested in the series as a whole. I often feel the same way about novellas as you do. You had me giggling about what you said about how we think guys should be obsessing about us when we aren't there, but so true isn't it? LOL. Great review! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is true! It's sad to admit but we know we think about our guys way more than they think about us. lol

      Delete
  3. I still need to read this series. I have the first one, guess I am waiting for a good summer pool day to dig in :) I have a hard time with novellas too, they are like teasers - I want the full story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, a full story is always the way to go.

      I Hope you get to this series soon because it's great.

      Delete
  4. Being in Logan's head sounds great, even if you didn't completely fall for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could get a whole book in Logan's head.

      Delete
  5. I know exactly what you mean about novellas. so far I've only read one novella from a series that I really liked and that was breathless by brigid kemmerer. That was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Breathless was good. I forgot about that one.

      Delete

I appreciate all comments and read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.