I am looking for authors, traditionally or self published, to write guest posts on writing or publishing tips to post on my blog. Contact me: readingurbanfantasy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

ARC Review: Charming by Elliott James

CHARMING


Pax Arcana Series #1

by Elliott James


Publisher: Orbit Books/ Hachette Group (Sept 24, 2013)
Genre: Urban Fantasy, (YA/NA/Adult)
Format: eBook (400 pages)
Source: Free book from publisher for honest review
Find It: Goodreads | Amazon Print | Amazon Kindle | Barnes & Noble
Rating: ★★½☆☆ (2.5 stars)
Summary
John Charming isn't your average Prince...

He comes from a line of Charmings -- an illustrious family of dragon slayers, witch-finders and killers dating back to before the fall of Rome. Trained by a modern day version of the Knights Templar, monster hunters who have updated their methods from chainmail and crossbows to kevlar and shotguns, he was one of the best. That is-- until he became the abomination the Knights were sworn to hunt.

That was a lifetime ago. Now, he tends bar under an assumed name in rural Virginia and leads a peaceful, quiet life. One that shouldn't change just because a vampire and a blonde walked into his bar... Right?
 
At A Glance
This was totally a book I should have loved, and I did in some ways, but it fell short for me. I was bored with the million info-dumps.

The Good
John Charming is a badass. He's in hiding, against the group who is suppose to support him. He meets Sig and her ragtag group of monster hunters and his life starts to unravel, in a good and bad way. As his feelings for Sig grow, he has to fight against the wolf inside him, the urge to run from his problems, and a jealous boyfriend who wants to torture him slow like.

As an urban fantasy lover, I was happy to see the rare male main character. I really liked everything about John. He's funny, a great fighter, and he even has a soft spot or two. He had a hard life with a messed up past, but he deals with it well. But it's Sig that brought out the best in him.

Sig was just as badassy as John. She is a fighter through and through and killing monsters for a living is her calling. Her and John deny their feelings for the longest time, especially since Sig has a boyfriend, but their attraction is hard to resist. I want to see these two together so bad. They seem perfect for each other.

I loved the story and how I didn't see a lot of the surprises coming. The other characters were entertaining too. There is a lot of action and the ending was spine-tingling. I was glued to the pages by the end. The world building was detailed. I walked away feeling like I lived in this world. And I loved James' take on all the supernatural.

The Bad
So, you may ask why I gave Charming 2.5 stars if I seemed to love the characters, the world, and the ending. Well, I was EFFING BORED out of my mind for most of the book. It took me forever to get through it. There were WAY too many info-dumps. Yeah, I liked James' world building for the most part...until it lasted for pages upon pages, totally interrupting the story, dialogue, and action. I had to start skimming some of it or I was never going to get through this book. Charming needs to be cut down by at least 100 pages of 'too much' information. Without all this unnecessary and overdone info, I would have given this book 4 stars.

The Snuggly
The romance is a small part of this book, as it should be since it's urban fantasy. But I loved Sig and John together. They are perfect for each other. They go through so much in just one book, it's like they have known each other forever.

There is only kissing in this book, so it is suitable for YA readers, but Charming reads as a NA or adult book.

Final Thoughts
I really, really loved a lot of this book, but with how slow it was because of all the info-dumps, I couldn't say I would continue the series for sure. If you can handle excess info in your books, then you will love Charming. Overall not recommended unless you can handle 'The Bad.'
Quotes
No quotes this time since it's an ARC.


18 comments:

  1. Awe it did sound like it would be an amazing book :( I loved the cover and the description though. I would also have signed up to read a book like this.
    Chanzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh this sounds good I do like info but if its so much you skimmed that makes me nervous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think many people could read this book without skimming.

      Delete
  3. Awe, I thought this was going to be good, but it doesn't sound like it really is. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. I might just stay away from this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good if you ignore the 100 pages of pure info-dumps. lol.

      Delete
  4. Aw, so sorry to hear that it fell short, that is always a sha,me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had it with info dumps! So glad I didn't request this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, so annoying. Happy you didn't try this one either.

      Delete
  6. huh, I will have to remember this one, I can handle a bunch of info if I am in the right mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might work for you then. Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  7. I love your first line because when I saw the cover and the blurb, I looked at your rating and just deflated. "I should have loved this book." Yeah I was thinking, it sounds fantastic!! I hate that the info dumps caused it to be boring. I love the male protagonist as well that you don't find often in urban fantasies. It's why I am reviewing my next one, Generation V. I hope I have better luck with mine :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have better luck too. I will look out for the review. I do believe a lot of people can enjoy this, but I can't stand info-dumps. They are the worst for me.

      Delete
  8. Wow. Sorry it was so slow for you. I had really enjoyed the sounds of this one but didn't pick it up. Hmm, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh noes! I stopped when I read BORED... I'll try to keep an open mind and hopefully I'll like it at least!

    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find the good outweighing the bad.

      Delete

I appreciate all comments and read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.