I am looking for authors, traditionally or self published, to write guest posts on writing or publishing tips to post on my blog. Contact me: readingurbanfantasy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Review: Pendomus by Carissa Andrews

PENDOMUS


Pendomus Chronicles #1


by Carissa Andrews


Publisher: Self-Published (Oct 10, 2013)
Genre: Fantasy, Dystopia, Young Adult
Format: eARC (novel length)
Source: Free book from author for honest review
Find It: Goodreads | Amazon Print | Amazon Kindle
Rating: ★★½☆☆ (2.5 stars)
Summary
Humanity has colonized on the tidally locked planet Pendomus.

Residing between extreme heat and frigid cold is the complex known as the Helix. Within lies a highly sophisticated society functioning solely on humans fulfilling their life’s purpose as determined by their natural aptitudes and daily brain scans.

Seventeen-year-old Runa Cophem has found her calling studying the ancient trees nearby and anxiously awaits a professional placement which will allow her to continue her work.

Runa’s life takes an unforeseen turn when she’s brutally attacked and left for dead in those woods. Rescued by a stranger with blue hair, she’s immersed into a surprising way humanity has survived without the Helix. Fueled by a yearning to understand and an attraction she didn’t even know was possible, Runa tries to make a new life for herself. Yet, there’s much she doesn’t know about herself, about the planet, and the forces controlling her from afar.

What she needs are some answers.
At A Glance
Started out great then got childish and boring.

The Good
The concept of Pendomus really caught my eye because I have been into dystopians lately. I was surprised with the amazing integration of fantasy/sci-fi too. I love books that mix up the genres.

Runa is such an interesting character. I loved her naivety but strong will. She gets emotional sometimes but I understood why. Her life has changed so drastically in a small amount of time. I giggled as her feelings for Traeton grew and she didn't know what to do with them. She has lived in a society where romantic feelings don't exist, so you can imagine how confusing attraction could be.

I loved the side characters. Fenton and Kani brought so much to this book. Fenton is fun-loving and mischievous and Kani is surly but strong. I loved their banter the most though

The Bad
In the beginning, the POV shifts confused me. I thought Traeton was a girl for the longest time because he just pops up with no info or backstory. And sometimes I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. Details and better structure was needed.

There is very little world-building. I never got a good feel for the world and the people in it. We barely spend anytime in the Helix, so it never really scared me like it should have.

The second half just got plain boring for me. Not a lot happens and there was never a sense of direction with the plot or characters. It also got too juvenile for me. I found myself rolling my eyes over the dialogue and drama.

The Snuggly
I thought Runa and Traeton were so cute in the beginning but then Traeton did that whole "I need to distance myself because of blah, blah, blah," and treated Runa like crap. I wasn't feeling their relationship by the end. But I will admit, they had some adorable moments with great sexual tension.

Very YA sexual content.

Final Thoughts
I will not be continuing this series. Pendomus just didn't click with me. It started out good and went downhill with each chapter. But I can see a younger reader maybe enjoying this more. Only recommended for heavy YA readers.
Quotes
“Traeton, what do you know about the tree you found me in?” I ask.

He shifts slightly and says, “Uh, not much. That was the first time I’d noticed the tree before. It was sorta weird, though.”

“How do you mean?” I ask, sliding my foot into my boot and letting it constrict to my size.

“Well, besides the standing water--” Trae raises a hand to his forehead and taps it gently as he thinks. “The tree itself, though . . .  There was something unusual about it. Like it had a mind of its own.”

I stop in mid-step of the next boot. “A mind of its own?”

Relief floods my body as my curiosity piques. He’s had his own experiences with the tree.

“Yeah. When I was trying to get you out, the water rose and basically flushed us out of the tree. Then it froze solid.”

Really?
 


10 comments:

  1. OH okay, defintely not reading this one. I don't seem to like any dystopias anymore and boring plots are a no no for me.

    Great honest review, hun! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! That sucks when a book sound so great, starts so great and then just falls flat *splat* Hopefully your next read will be awesome!

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope for the series sake that the next book is better.

      Delete
  3. It usually is a bust if you can't connect with the characters. And this is some sort of a fantasy book right? Minimal to no world building coupled with confusing characters is a bad mix. And Traeton might be a unique name but it's too unique it's genderless LOL

    P.S. Following you on IG now too! Heeeeyyy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, with the fantasy elements I expected so much more world building.
      And we don't even know Traeton's name for the little while.

      Thanks for the follow!

      Delete
  4. Ugh, this is the third review I have read, and opinions are all similar. I love the premises, and am sad it just didn't work. Wonderful review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least I am not alone. Seems like the problems are universal.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like I would have enjoyed the side characters. So sorry this one fizzled. I've thought a character was male before that was a girl. Her name was Stevie and it just confused the mess out of me until about a fourth of the way in. If I find myself rolling my eyes at a book too much, I won't be moving on with the series either. Great review! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traeton has a very feminine way of talking. So confusing. That's not a good sign for the rest of a book when simple things like that confuse us.

      Delete

I appreciate all comments and read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.