I am looking for authors, traditionally or self published, to write guest posts on writing or publishing tips to post on my blog. Contact me: readingurbanfantasy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Best Books by Genre (Happy New Year!)


I posted my 2013 End of Year Survey yesterday which really covered almost everything when it comes to best books and such, but I wanted to do a separate post of my favorite books that I read in 2013 by genre (and category). This way you get a more detailed list of the books I loved. (Note: for crossovers, like YA contemporary romance, I am going to choose two different books based on which category I feel represents the book more strongly). Two genres you will see missing is paranormal romance and erotic. Unfortunately, I didn't read any great books from these genres this year.
Urban Fantasy
I really could go on forever on how much I love the urban fantasy book Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews. I love all her books. She just has a way of writing the best dialogue and best action scenes ever. Plus, her sense of humor is out of this world. I laugh out loud with every Ilona book. Magic Rises is the book #6 in the Kate Daniels Series and this series just gets better and better. Curran is my #1 book boyfriend, so that helps. :)

Paranormal
Loved Touched by A.J. Aalto. Not a very well known book but so worth the read for paranormal lovers. It's dark but also hilarious at the same time.


Fantasy
 I did not know what to expect out of Through Glass by Rebecca Ethington. And boy was I pleasantly surprised. It starts out slow but ends with a huge bang. I can't wait for the next book because I think things are only starting to get interesting.

Sci-Fi
Okay, I didn't read this book in 2013, but I did post my review for it in 2013 so, yeah, deal with it. lol. The Host by Stephenie Meyer is one of my fav sci-fi books ever, though it is a soft sci-fi. Meyer did it right with this book. The love story was amazing and the alien part gave me the creeps.


Contemporary Romance
The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay is my favorite contemporary romance of the year and probably ever. I can't believe it took me so long to read this book. I never read many contemp romances until this book, and it made me start loving the genre. You will cry and scream through this book, no doubt about it. Be ready for an emotional rollercoaster. No worries, you will love every minute of it.

Dystopia
 I don't think there are many book bloggers out there that don't know about this book and series. Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi is the book in which an evil villain became a possible love interest. Mind Blown!

Historical
Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers is my favorite historical book this year. It's the second book of the His Fair Assassin series. The first book was amazing as well. But Dark Triumph is like a whole other level of perfection. There wasn't one thing wrong with this book. Every character drew me in and the story was emotional but exciting. And the love story was so slow and sweet I could die just thinking about it again.


Young Adult
I was so surprised by Storm by Brigid Kemmerer. I think it's the perfect story for young adult readers. We get sexy brothers and cool elemental magic. The series has been great so far as well.

New Adult
Again, why did it take me so long to start this book and series? Ten Tiny Breaths by K. A. Tucker is another one of those that will punch your emotions until they are bloody, but you will thoroughly enjoy this beating.

Vampire
Man, I am obsessed with this new vampire series. The first book, Pretty When She Dies by Rhiannon Frater, just blew me away. It was gritty, raw, and effing scary. I loved following Amaliya's journey into vampirism.

Wereanimal
I wasn't so sure about this series before, but with Elysian Fields by Suzanne Johnson, I realized what the appeal was. This has wereanimals and other supernatural creatures. Each character is interesting and the New Orleans setting is so fun. 

Aliens
Oh, Daemon, how I love you! Even though the ending made me want to pull my hair out, Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout was a great continuation of the Lux series. So much is happening, so much danger for our group of aliens. I am nervous but excited to see what happens next.

Zombies
If you have seen the movie and liked it, read the book and like it even more. Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion is so much better in book form. I never thought a zombie romance was possible but Isaac did it. I can't believe how poetic and funny this book was.

Assassins
Many of you know I love assassin books so I couldn't leave that category out. Heart of Venom by Jennifer Estep is book #9 in the Elemental Assassin series. This felt like the older books of the series, which I always loved the most. This really brought back old Gin and her blood-thirsty ways.




14 comments:

  1. Love the way you have made this post :) All the best for 2014!
    http://booketta.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/annual-review-2013-in-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the way you broke this in to genres! I loved The Host, The Sea of Tranquility and Warm Bodies. I haven't started the Shatter Me series yet but it's on my must-read-soon list :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be blown away by Shatter Me. It was the book that got me into YA.

      Delete
  3. I love the Royal Street series ..hmm it shoulda, coulda made my list :( I own the Host but watched the movie on netflix with my hubby this week and broke my cardinal rule about reading book first. Do you think I ruined it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you will love The Host just as much even with watching the movie first. So much more happens, so much more undertones that are important.

      Delete
  4. I love all the pretty covers. ^_^ The only one I have read is The Host and I LOVED it. I have seen some of the others around and they may already be on my TBR list. I'll have to check that. Have a very Happy New Year Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you check some of these out and love them. The Host will go down as one of my all time favs.

      Delete
  5. I have so much catching up to do! But it sounds like it will be a fun time while I do it :)
    Love the list - Happy 2013! Looks like it was a great reading year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe, I hope you grab a couple of these one day. Would love to talk about them.

      Delete
  6. Ooh, great list! I'm going to add some of these to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HappyNew year! I agree with many of these picks! Especially Opal, Sea of tranquility, and ooh I need to read The Host. I've heard a lot about the Elemental series.. I have the third and fourth book but I need to get the first lol. :P

    -Dee's Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book The Elemental series is my personal fav. And yes, please read the Host.

      Delete

I appreciate all comments and read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.