I am looking for authors, traditionally or self published, to write guest posts on writing or publishing tips to post on my blog. Contact me: readingurbanfantasy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Bookish Blatherings (Book Cover Edition) #5: Book Covers I Want to Hang Up as Art

Welcome to Bookish Blatherings, my new feature in which I will be rambling about bookish or bloggish things and hopefully you will join in on the discussion.
I have really been into book covers lately. I am obsessed with beautiful covers. So I thought I would start a Book Cover Edition for my Bookish Blatherings feature so that I could finally talk some cover art with everyone. Today, the theme is Book Covers I Want to Hang Up as Art. There are some covers out there that I would literally decorate my house with. Maybe I am weird, but a beautiful book cover to me is like any other piece of art. It needs to be observed, admired, and appreciated. So let's admire the crap out of my top choices for most art-worthy book covers (in no particular order).

I am obsessed with this cover. Splintered by A.G. Howard just pops right off the screen. The girl is gorgeous and the colors are excellent. This would so go on my wall.
Ephemeral by Addison Moore is simply breathtaking. I read this book just because of the cover. It's hauntingly beautiful, yeah, that's the perfect way to describe it.

Each cover in the Shatter Me Series is amazing, but the first book, Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi has always been my favorite. It may not make sense but it's effing genius.
I don't know why but Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge mesmerizes me! I have always loved pictures of spiral staircases. But with the added rose all layered in, I just can't stop admiring this cover.
The Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor cover makes me so excited every time I see it. The seires' covers in general are perfection. I love that each one has a pop of color that seems so simple but totally makes each cover amazing. I would so display this in my house.
If you were going to fall in love with a spacey cover, Across the Universe by Beth Revis is the one to pine over. The galaxy colors are spectacular and the models totally make me think lovey-dovey thoughts.
Yeah, I just had an eyegasm! Incarnate by Jodi Meadows also takes my breath away. The hazy colors and butterfly mask thingy is just so damn pretty. Oooh, I want to look like this for next Halloween!
I have an obsession with old looking furniture and vintage clothing. Obviously Wither by Lauren DeStefano is right up my ally when it comes to the cover. I love the tarnished feel and look. I would decorate my whole house with this cover scheme.
Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood is so eye-catching. Who knew a girl with flowers in her hair looking at us upside down could be so tantalizing and beautiful. I love how her face is the focal point and the rest is slowly hazed out. So artistic.
Come on, who could not love the cover for Everneath by Brodi Ashton. The dress, the smoke/clouds, the swirls and wisps, it all comes together amazingly. The blending is outstanding. So wall worthy.

What book covers would you want to hang up in your home as art?
 

Modified banner photo credit: Wurzeltod via photopin cc

15 comments:

  1. I like all your choices and I agree they would definitely go up as art at my place too. I especially love the covers of Splintered and Cruel Beauty. I also think the cover of Unhinged by A.G. Howard is also a piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unhinged is amazing, I just didn't want to double pictures on any series. Usually, if one cover is good, the series covers are good.

      Delete
  2. I like your choices. The Splintered cover has fascinated me ever since I first saw it. I love covers with eyes and Shatter Me is beautiful. Cruel Beauty takes me into the center and back out again. The more I look, the more it intrigues me. The masked covers always catch my eye because I live in Mardi Gras country. ^_^ They are all great works of art! Thanks for sharing, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Mardi Gras, so jealous!! Happy you agree. I have been obsessed with Splintered forever!

      Delete
  3. Excellent picks! I still have Splintered in my bookcase (haven't read it yet) cause I am coveting the fact that I have this gorgeous book to read. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, I know what you mean. But you HAVE to read it. It's so good.

      Delete
  4. I love Shatter me series and new souls series covers. beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a total sucker for pretty covers, Jennifer. I love, love Splintered! And I have to be honest and say that I bought Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Wither, and Born Wicked because of their covers. :) I love Ephemeral's cover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I have so done that too, bought books for the covers alone. Happy you like Ephemeral too.

      Delete
  6. I love talking about beautiful covers!! I think it's crazy that I love the ones you mentioned so much, but I haven't read them. Splintered, Incarnate, Wither, Shatter Me, and Everneath are some of my fav's! I also really think the Cinder cover is stunning. There's also The Wild Girl by Kate Forsyth and Arrow of the Mist by Christina Mercer that're pretty spectacular as well. Great post! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinder is a good one. I contemplated adding that one. OMG, I love the Arrow in the Mist one!!! I forgot about it. I actually want my blog to look similar to the design when I redesign it.

      Delete
    2. Oh I can't wait! I bet that'll look fantastic.

      Delete
  7. How cool are some of the art on books!!! I love the ones you picked so much. I think a library itself in someone's house is a form of art. Plus... we have movies posters hanging up in our theater room why can't I have book covers hanging up in my library???

    Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!!! I think book covers are so much better than movie posters. The focus more on the art.

      Delete

I appreciate all comments and read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.